Nepalese fans of Manchester United F.C.
!!!! Please Join !!!!! Join!!!!!
!!!!!Glory Glory Man United!!!!!
Share, read, post all the news of MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!!
RED DEVILS
!!!! Please Join !!!!! Join!!!!!
!!!!!Glory Glory Man United!!!!!
Share, read, post all the news of MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!!
RED DEVILS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Don't Run After Glory, We Walk With Glory! We Aren't Proud Of Our Achievement, Achievement Is Our Pride! We Are United.. United For Manchester United... We Are Red Devils!!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wolves 2-1 Manchester United
MANCHESTER UTD Vs MANCHESTER CITY
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bet & Win Competition Bet & Win Competition COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poll
Who should be regular keeper after VDS retires?
Kuschzack
Former Reds lose out I_vote_lcap17%Former Reds lose out I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Amos
Former Reds lose out I_vote_lcap0%Former Reds lose out I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Lindegaard
Former Reds lose out I_vote_lcap33%Former Reds lose out I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Other Siginings(Mention it )
Former Reds lose out I_vote_lcap50%Former Reds lose out I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6
T-Shirt
Former Reds lose out Untitl14
Ads

Former Reds lose out

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aj_zone
Admin
Admin
aj_zone

Former Reds lose out Empty
PostSubject: Former Reds lose out   Former Reds lose out I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Former Reds lose out Img_10_32607_1244.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=240&hei=359&rgn=0.375,0.033632286995515695,0.375,0

It’s never nice to lose to Manchester City in any form of competition, but that was something United’s veterans had to endure in the Selco North West Masters Cup at the MEN Arena on Sunday evening.

United’s over-35 representatives at the annual six-a-side tournament – including Andy Cole, Lee Sharpe and Clayton Blackmore – played well but couldn’t find the goals to progress past the group stage. After drawing with Leeds, the Reds went down 2-1 to City in the crucial group decider. City then went on to win the final 3-2 against Bolton Wanderers, booking a place in the Grand Final in September.

In the opening game against a Leeds side featuring Ray and Rod Wallace, Clyde Wijnhard and Noel Whelan, United went two down to a brace from Dutchman Wijnhard. After a spirited fightback in the final two minutes, though, United salvaged a draw through a fine lob from former Fergie Fledgling Giuliano Maiorana and a slick team move finished off by Andy Cole.

That set up a showdown with City, with a United victory guaranteeing a place in the final of this regional heat. City took an early lead through a classy solo effort from Fitzroy Simpson, but Russel Beardsmore – another of Sir Alex’s late 1980s/early1990s youngstersfound the top corner to equalise for the Reds. United missed a hatful of opportunities to go ahead, and paid the price when Simpson scored his and City’s second deep into the second half to win the game.

Red legend Lee Sharpe told ManUtd.com that it was those missed opportunities that cost United dearly. “It’s a shame, we made loads of chances but we just couldn’t score. That’s always the key – we were on top for long periods and you’ve got to score during those times.”

Despite the result, however, Lee said he had fun out on the pitch and would be back for more. “It was a good run around, hard work but I enjoyed it. It’s getting tougher out there, the lads are getting fitter, but as long as I’m fit I’ll be available for selection again next time.”

Regardless of the result, it was a good opportunity for United’s ex-players to get together again, as well as to see old friends and rivals from other clubs – not that they do each other any favours on the pitch.

“It’s competitive out there, nobody likes to lose,” says Beardsmore. “But it’s great to play and it’s also good to catch up with old mates and team-mates. It’s also good for a bit of networking, to see what everybody else is up to.”
Back to top Go down

Former Reds lose out
Page 1 of 1